Mother Baby Postpartum Unit
Our Mother Baby postpartum unit offers 28 private rooms featuring lactation support and nursing couplet care to limit interruptions and exposure. Here, you and your family will get an opportunity to recover from your birthing experience, while maintaining consistent practices from Labor and Delivery.
We encourage "skin to skin" opportunities to promote bonding and breastfeeding. Our highly trained and experienced nursing staff, many who are certified in maternal newborn nursing and low risk newborn nursing, is at your side to offer education, support and guidance through this special time.
- 24/7 rooming in for mom and baby
- Newly-remodeled private rooms
- Quiet hours every day from 2 - 4pm so mom and baby can rest,
recover, bond and breastfeed
- Special dessert following delivery
- In-room service dining
- Lactation consultants, as needed
- In-room professional baby photography
- A special gift upon discharge
Take a Virtual Tour!
Watch this helpful virtual tour of our facility as well as what to expect on the day you arrive to have your baby, after your baby is delivered and more!
Mom365 Web Nursery
When you arrive at Torrance Memorial Medical Center to have your baby, you will have the option of having a digital photo taken of your baby to view online and share with your loved ones.
Learn About Our Web Nursery
Couplet Care is designed to provide newborns and mothers with the best possible start in life and provide a boost to the newborn's immune system, just like breastfeeding.
- Mother Baby nurses are highly skilled and cross-trained to care for both the mother and newborn
- Babies and mothers stay together in the same room, and the same nurse provides care for both mother and baby
- Not only are bonding and breastfeeding opportunities enhanced, but the newborn benefits just from being in the same area as the parents
- If you are breastfeeding, then your baby has double protection because of the close "skin to skin" contact
Baby's First Footprint
Infant security is a top priority at Torrance Memorial. We are the first hospital in Los Angeles county to offer a digital capture and storage of newborn footprints, security photos, and mom's index fingerprints through a new technology, CertaScan. With guidance from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC), CertaScan has created the new "Gold Standard" for identifying infants in case of an emergency such as a natural disaster or child abduction.
Like fingerprints, footprints are unique to each newborn and provide a superior and more detailed means of identifying infants should the need arise. Capturing your baby’s footprints with this level of precision will enable us to help your hospital, law enforcement agencies and you to identify your baby and can only be accessed in emergencies by authorized parties for your baby’s safety and security.
- Digital high resolution scan of infant's footprints
- 24/7 access to forensic expert who can quickly confirm a baby's identity in the event of need
- Compliance with the latest NCMEC's Infant Security Guidelines
- Precise identification of infants that enhances current hospital safety and security
- Quicker and easier to use than ink system
- Families get to take home a cobranded keepsake and electronic file of baby's first footprints
Learn More About Infant Safety [PDF]
In an effort to make our patients' stay at Torrance Memorial more rewarding and improve the patient experience, we are providing parents with Quiet Time every afternoon from 2 to 4 PM. Quiet time is a two-hour period offered every afternoon to give parents and their newborn babies uninterrupted time to bond, promoting breastfeeding and rest.
Torrance Memorial has been named a Baby-Friendly Hospital by Baby-Friendly USA. To achieve a Baby-Friendly designation, Torrance Memorial demonstrated its ability to offer mothers the information, skills and support needed to successfully initiate bonding and breastfeeding.
A maternity care facility can be designated as Baby-Friendly when it meets the requirements created by the World Health Organization and adheres to the “10 Steps of Successful Breastfeeding.” The steps include the following:
- helping all mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth;
- showing mothers how to breastfeed and maintain lactation even if they are separated from their infants;
- giving newborn infants only breast milk unless medically indicated;
- practicing rooming-in by allowing mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day;
- and encouraging unrestricted breastfeeding on cue.
Cribs for Kids® National Bronze Certified Safe Sleep Hospital
Torrance Memorial is excited to announce that it is the first and only hospital in LA County to be officially recognized as a Cribs for Kids® National Bronze Certified Safe Sleep Hospital. This program awards recognition to hospitals that demonstrate a commitment to reducing infant, sleep-related deaths by promoting and educating on best safe sleep practices.
The National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification Program was created by Cribs for Kids®, the only national infant safe sleep organization. Based in Pittsburgh, PA, Cribs for Kids is dedicated to preventing infant sleep-related deaths due to accidental suffocation. As a Nationally Certified Safe Sleep Hospital, Torrance Memorial is recognized for following the safe sleep guidelines recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and providing training programs for healthcare team members, and family caregivers.