The Torrance Memorial Lactation Center offers a safe place for new moms needing resources, support and education around breastfeeding and newborn nutrition. Located in the hospital's Health Resource Center, Healthlinks, the Lactation Center provides a number of services including a Breastfeeding Clinic, breast pump rentals, breastfeeding accessories and support, and a Mother's Room to weigh and feed your newborn.
Our Breastfeeding Clinic provides an intimate hands-on breastfeeding consultation for mothers who have concerns or questions related to breastfeeding. An International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant will weigh your baby and answer any questions regarding breastfeeding, latching-on, positioning and problem solving. A personal and specific plan will be created to help you and your baby successfully breastfeed.
Download Our Breastfeeding Resource List
Meet with a Lactation Consultant
The Breastfeeding Clinic is open Mondays and Saturdays at 9:30am. Cost of the Breastfeeding Clinic is $30 and pre-registration is necessary.
Breast pumps and other breastfeeding accessories can ease the discomfort or complications that result from inadequate milk supply, engorged or infected breasts, flat or sore nipples, or other special circumstances. Torrance Memorial's Health Resource Center, HealthLinks, stocks a large supply of:
- hospital-grade breast pump rentals
- breast pumps replacement parts
- adapter kits
- nursing bras and pads
- nursing pillows
- and other accessories that can help improve the breastfeeding experience for both mother and baby
Our line of maternity and nursing products, bra fittings, and pump sales and rentals are available in HealthLinks, Monday-Friday, from 8:30am to 5:00pm.
The Breastfeeding Mothers' rooms have a private area with comfortable chairs, a refrigerator for storage of breast milk storage, digital baby weight scales and educational information for new parents.
Breastfeeding Nurturing & Nutritional Benefits
Benefits of Breastfeeding for Mom:
- Breast milk is convenient, free, clean and always the right temperature.
- Breastfeeding burns calories, assisting mom to lose her pregnancy weight faster.
- Mothers who breastfeed have a decreased risk of ovarian and pre-menopausal breast cancer, anemia and osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding releases hormones that contract your uterus and helps it return to its normal size.
Benefits of Breastfeeding for Baby:
- Breast milk provides infants with the most complete nutrition possible.
- Breast milk is full of antibodies that help your baby fight infections.
- Breast milk is easy for your baby to digest.
- Breast milk reduces the risk of ear infections, allergies, colds and some diseases such as SIDS, diabetes and childhood cancers.