When you or someone you love is in need of acute emergency care, the Torrance Memorial Melanie and Richard Lundquist Emergency Department stands ready. The people of the South Bay have come to trust Torrance Memorial to be there in time of need-- especially during emergencies.
Your Safety is Our Top Priority - Don't Delay Your Care
During this time, we want to assure patients your health and safety is our top priority. It is very important to us that our patients and staff feel comfortable and safe while accessing the health services and care Torrance Memorial provides.
With guidance from the infectious disease specialists, Los Angeles Department of Public Health and the CDC, Torrance Memorial has implemented many protocols and policies to ensure the safety of our patients and staff.
What We are Doing to Keep our Patients Safe
- Mandatory Daily Screening and Temperature Checks – Every person who enters our facility goes through a daily screening and temperature check.
- Proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - Each staff member on a patient’s care team has the proper PPE to ensure patient and staff safety. We have adequate supply of all the necessary PPE required for any medical or surgical need.
- Extensive Training -- Our physicians, nurses and ancillary care team members have clinical training and experience in infectious disease prevention and follow strict protocols for maintaining a safe patient environment.
- Social Distancing – Implementation of many physical distancing measures throughout the hospital and in our physician offices.
- Cleaning and Maintenance – Torrance Memorial follows CDC protocols for cleaning and disinfecting all patient and treatment areas. Rooms are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between patients.
- Isolation of COVID Patients –Positive COVID patients are in specific isolation zones. Patients with a negative COVID screening test will not be placed in these zones.
How to Obtain Services
When bringing someone to the medical center for emergency services, cars may park in the Main Parking Structure directly in front of the Emergency Department to drop the patient off and check in for service. Cars will need to be parked in Visitor Parking after check-in. We also offer free valet services in the Main Parking Structure for patients and visitors.
After checking in, most emergency patients will be brought in to the Emergency Department immediately. However, if the Emergency Department is full, some patients may need to wait a short time before they can be accommodated in the department in order to give everyone the quality care they need.
One of the first people patients see in the Emergency Department is one of our Board Certified Emergency Physicians, who will make an initial evaluation to initiate care. Patients will also be visited at the bed side by an Admissions representative who will take care of any needed paperwork. Once care commences, patients may see a variety of healthcare workers depending on the type of care needed.
Special Emergency Care Designations
Comprehensive Stroke Center
At the Torrance Memorial Certified Comprehensive Stroke Care Center, providing the highest caliber of evidenced-based care takes an impressive team of professionals.
Learn More About Stroke Care
ED Approved for Pediatric Patients
Torrance Memorial is a designated Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP) by L.A. County Department of Health Services. All our emergency physicians are trained to meet the Emergency needs of children.
STEMI (Heart Attack) Receiving Center
STEMI-receiving hospital, such as Torrance Memorial, has the equipment, expertise and facilities to administer percutaneous coronary intervention, a mechanical means of treating heart attack patients.
LA County Paramedic Base Station
Torrance Memorial's 24-hour Emergency Department serves as a paramedic base station. Specially trained paramedics, emergency physicians, cardiologists and nurses work together to ensure patients receive the emergency care they need during critical times.
In 1998, our Emergency Department was completely renovated and expanded to prepare us to meet the need for high quality emergency care into the next millennium. This improves our ability to serve the nearly 7,500 patients who visit the Emergency Department each month.
In the department, patients enjoy many improvements that contribute to the quality of care, as well as patient convenience and comfort. Some of our special features include:
- A two-bed trauma room that enhances quality of care and comfort for patients who may have suffered multiple injuries or may be too sick to be moved
- A special decontamination unit, complete with a shower stall serviced with hot water that drains into an underground collection tank
- Three pediatric rooms, one of which isolates from other patients children who may have a communicable disease, such as chickenpox
- Private rooms are provided for women who need obstetrical and gynecological care
- A room is specially equipped for problems involving the eyes, ears, nose and throat
- Our Fast Track service provides timely care for patients with less serious conditions
- From chest pains to migraines, from fevers to fractures, Torrance Memorial is equipped and staffed to provide state-of-the-art emergency caring
The physicians of Torrance Memorial Emergency Department are independent contractors and are neither agents nor employees of Torrance Memorial Medical Center.