The Torrance Memorial Radiation Oncology program provides a number of cutting-edge technologies in a patient-centered environment. Our team ensures that you will receive the best method of therapy for you and continues to provide state-of-the-art equipment at the forefront of radiation treatment.
Precise & Powerful Therapy
The Truebeam is known for its extraordinarily high precision and flexibility and its ability to deliver radiation that requires a highly exact setup within very tight dose margins. Delivering sub-millimeter accuracy, the Truebeam facilitates accuracy with a precise beam center and a sharp beam edge.
This particular form of stereotactic radiotherapy has several important advantages:
- The radiation beams conform exactly to tumor dimensions
- Radiation delivered by the Truebeam is exceedingly strong and flexible
- There is a significant decrease to the risk of damage to adjacent healthy tissue
- Built-in imaging technology captures high-resolution images of the target at setup and during treatment delivery
- Delivery can be "gated" to match each patient's breathing cycle
- Truebeam works quickly, making treatment more comfortable for the patient
Stereotactic radiotherapy treatment planning is individualized for each patient. Our radiation oncologists collaborate with physicists and dosimetrists to establish the optimal treatment plan, including number of visits, mode of delivery and direction of beams. Neurosurgeons and pulmonologists may also contribute to treatment planning.
While not optimal for all patients, Truebeam is appropriate for tumors that are located near the spinal canal as well as some small tumors in the lungs, liver or brain. Torrance Memorial Medical Center has two additional highly precise linear accelerators for treatment of patients for whom Truebeam therapy is not optimal.