Lung Cancer Screening
The only recommended screening test for lung cancer is low-dose computed tomography (also called a low-dose CT scan, or LDCT). During an LDCT scan, you lie on a table and an x-ray machine uses a low dose (amount) of radiation to make detailed images of your lungs. The scan only takes a few minutes and is not painful. As with most cancers, early detection and treatment of lung cancer offers the best possible odds for survival.
Who Should Consider CT Lung Screening?
If you answer YES to the following three questions, please consider undergoing a low-dose CT lung screening:
- Are you between 50 and 77 years old?
- Are you a current smoker or have you quit within the last 15 years?
- Do you have a 20-pack year history of smoking? (To determine your pack year history, multiply the number of packs smoked per day by the number of years smoked.)
Are There Any Risks to Being Screened for Lung Cancer?
In deciding whether or not you want to be screened, here are some important facts you should know in advance:
- There is a chance you could have cancer that would not be detected by this test.
- There is a chance that the test will yield a finding, which leads to additional testing – which may or may not turn out to be cancer.
- The test uses a small amount of radiation; however, the benefit of early detection likely outweighs the risk of damage or injury the amount of radiation exposure that occurs during a low-dose CT.
Torrance Memorial offers low-dose lung screening for $205. Medicare covers the cost of the screening as long as you meet the criteria. Most private insurance companies also cover the cost if the guidelines are met since this screening is considered preventative.
Make An Appointment
You’ll need a physician’s order to have the exam. The order can be faxed to Centralized Scheduling at 310-784-6366 or 424-286-4707. Call Centralized Scheduling at 310-517-4738 to schedule your appointment.
Within 3-4 days of the exam, your primary care physician will receive the CT scan results to review with you. If you would like a copy of the scan on a CD, ask the front desk at Polak Imaging Pavilion or call 310-784-6323.
For Referring Providers
Download a Low Dose CT Lung Screening order form.
- To schedule call 310-517-4738.
- Fax completed order form to Torrance Memorials’ Cancer Resource Center at 310-784-8722.