EBSCOhost provides access to all the medical databases described below. Only individuals affiliated with Torrance Memorial are allowed access and a user ID and password are required.
To access the databases on the internet enter http://search.ebscohost.com. A link is also available on Torrance Memorial's TMI page. For user ID, password and additional information please contact the Medical Library at 310-517-4720.
EBSCOhost Web: In January 2004 Torrance Memorial's Medical Library began a subscription to EBSCOhost Web that provides access to full-text journals and allows clients to link to full-text from journal citations within National Library of Medicine's PubMed (MEDLINE) database. Most of the journals covered are available in PDF format. Databases to which the Medical Library subscribes include:
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text is a robust collection of full text for nursing and allied health journals, providing full text for more than 760 journals indexed in CINAHL. This authoritative file contains full text for many of the most used journals in the CINAHL index - with not embargo. Content covers nursing, biomedicine, health sciences librarianship, alternative/complementary medicine, consumer health and 17 allied health disciplines. CINAHL Plus with Full Text is the core research tool for all areas of nursing and allied health literature. Full text coverage dates back to 1937.
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews contains full text articles, as well as protocols focusing on the effects of health care. The reviews are highly structured and systematic, with evidence included or excluded on the basis of explicit quality criteria, to minimize bias. Data for the more than 4,800 records is evidence-based medicine and is often combined statistically (with meta-analysis) to increase the power of the findings of numerous studies, each too small to produce reliable results individually.
- Health Business Elite provides comprehensive journal content detailing all aspects of health care administration and other non-clinical aspects of health care institution management. Topics covered include hospital management, hospital administration, marketing, human resources, computer technology, facilities management and insurance. The database contains full text content for more than 570 journals.
- MEDLINE Complete provides authoritative information on general health and medicine, nursing, pharmacology, dentistry, genetics and genomics, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and much more. It is the world's most comprehensive source of full text for medical journals, providing full text for more than 2,000 journals indexed in MEDLINE. This wide-ranging file contains full text for many of the most used journals in the MEDLINE index - with no embargo. With coverage dating back to 1809 and full-text back to 1865, it is the definitive research tool for medical literature.
- Nursing & Allied Health Collection: Comprehensive is designed for nursing and allied health professionals, students, educators and researchers. This database provides full text for nearly 400 journals, including nearly 300 peer-reviewed titles, covering the areas of nursing, biomedicine, health sciences, consumer health and allied health disciplines. Nearly all full text titles included are indexed in CINAHL. Full text information dates as far back as 1975.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection is a comprehensive database covering information concerning topics in emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology and observational & experimental methods. It also provides particularly strong converage in child and adolescent psychology and various areas of counseling. This is the world's largest full text psychology database offering full text coverage for more than 530 journals.
Nursing Reference Center: In July 2010 Torrance Memorial's Medical Library began a subscription to Nursing Reference Center that is a comprehensive reference tool designed to provide relevant clinical resources to nurses and other health care professionals, directly at the point-of-care. This database offers staff nurses, nurse administrators and nurse faculty the best available and most recent clinical evidence from thousands of full-text documents. Nursing Reference Center was selected because it is updated daily; all information is evidence-based; provides unlimited free access remotely; aligns nicely with Magnet and Joint Commission requirements; is quick and easy to read; and, is concise and to the point. Features of Nursing Reference Center include, but are not limited to:
- Conditions and diseases
- Evidence-based care sheets
- Drug information
- Lab and diagnosis detail
- Best practice guidelines
- Patient education resources
- Continuing education
- Nursing skills and procedures
- Cultural competencies
- Point-of-care reference books
- Full-text journals
- Research instruments
- Legal cases
- Latest medical news
Nursing Reference Center is produced and reviewed by nurses, ensuring that nurses are accessing the most relevant information available to meet day-to-day patient care requirements.
Click here to view an 11 minute tutorial video