Tofu is a great source of protein and contains all of the essential amino
acids your body needs! Packed with fiber, iron, and calcium, this baked
meal can be paired with sweet and savory sesame sauce, Asian vegetable
medley, and brown rice for a nutritious and flavorful dinner!
Makes 6 servings / Prep Time: 15 min & Cook Time: 25 min
Ingredients for Tofu
- 2 (16 ounce) block firm or extra-firm tofu
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Optional: Ingredients for Asian Sauce
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup brown sugar, light
- ¼ cup rice vinegar, unseasoned
- 1-2 tsp chili powder, more or less to taste
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
Preparation for Tofu
- Press the tofu: Wrap each block of tofu in paper towels. Place a plate
or pan on top of the wrapped tofu and let tofu press for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line with parchment paper.
- Slice the pressed tofu into cubes, then place in a large bowl, along with
sesame oil, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Mix together. Arrange the tofu
evenly on the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
Optional: Preparation for Asian Sauce
- In a large pan, add the soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and
chili powder. Stir and bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a small
bowl, mix the cornstarch and water together until smooth, then pour into
the pan. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens, then turn off the heat.
Stir in the sesame oil.
- When tofu is done baking, add it to the sauce and stir to coat the pieces.
Serve with 4 oz. brown rice, 3 oz. Asian vegetable medley, sesame seeds,
and chopped green onions for a balanced, delicious meal! Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts per serving (Tofu only): 3 oz. 1 serving (6 servings) | Calories: 200 kcals | Carbohydrates: 6
g | Fiber: 2g | Protein: 11 g | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g |
Sodium: 80 mg
Recipe Courtesy of Julia C. Yee, MS, RDN - Julia has over 25 years of experience
in the clinical setting. Specialties include Radiation Oncology, Transitional
Care Unit and Inpatient Clinical Care.
For more information, visit