(pronounced “keen-wah”) is a type of edible seed that comes
in various colors. It is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few
plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. It is also high
in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus,
vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants.
One cup of cooked
quinoa has about 40 fewer calories than the same amount of white rice, but the
real benefit is in the amount of carbohydrates. White rice has almost
15 times more grams of carbohydrates, and quinoa provides 5 more grams
of fiber and double the protein.
How to prepare:
1. Rinse quinoa under cold water.
2. One cup of dry quinoa yields about three cups of cooked quinoa. To prepare
6 cups of cooked quinoa use 2 cups of dry quinoa and 4 cups of water/broth.
3. Prepare vegetable broth, bring to a boil, and add Quinoa. Stir to combine.
Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook ~20 minutes or until
all liquid has absorbed.
4. Uncover and allow to cool for ~10 minutes. Gently fluff with a fork.
Quinoa Salad Recipe
Yields: 12 servings
Portion Size: 1 plate
For the Quinoa mixture
6 cups Quinoa, cooked
4 tsp Olive Oil
1 cup Red Peppers, chopped
2 cups Tomatoes, diced
1 cup Whole Kernel Corn
1 ½ cup Black Beans
2/3 cup Green Onions, chopped
2/3 cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
For the Cumin Lime Dressing
¼ cup Olive Oil
¼ cup Lime juice
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp. honey
Directions for Quinoa Mixture & Dressing:
- Prepare quinoa as preferred. See directions to the left. Once cooked, allow
to cool in refrigerator.
- Next, sauté chopped red peppers in olive oil until tender. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together cooked quinoa mixture, sautéed red
peppers, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, chopped green onions and cilantro.
In a separate bowl prepare
Cumin Lime Dressing. Mix all ingredients for dressing until well blended.
- Stir Cumin Lime Dressing into quinoa mixture and blend well. Keep refrigerated
until ready to serve.
- The quinoa mixture keeps very well in the fridge and can be made in advance
before serving over salad.
To Assemble: Gather quinoa mixture, romaine lettuce, avocado, baked tortilla chips,
Once ready to serve …. Place chopped romaine lettuce on plate and top with 1 cup of quinoa vegetable
mixture. Garnish with 2 slices of avocado, baked tortilla chips, and lime
wedges. Serve immediately. Enjoy!