Salty and sweet, with a hint of acidity, it’s simply summer in a
bowl. This watermelon and tomato salad has significant levels of vitamins
A, B6, C, and lots of lycopene and antioxidants. Its high water content
can also help keep you hydrated during the hot days of summer. For best
results find firm heirloom tomatoes, use chilled watermelon cubes, and
keep the dressing light.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 to 6 large tomatoes, ideally heirloom varieties, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 small seedless watermelon, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup feta cheese, torn into large crumbles
- Combine the cubed tomatoes and watermelon in a large bowl and toss gently
to combine. Add salt and let stand 5 to 10 minutes while you prepare the dressing.
- Whisk together the oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cheese to the tomatoes and watermelon, then the dressing, and toss
gently to combine.
For more information or a personalized nutrition plan, contact one of our
Registered Dietitian Nutritionists at the
Torrance Memorial Specialty Center, 2841 Lomita Blvd., 3rd Floor, Suite 335. Telephone (310) 891-6707. We accept self-referrals through our Nutrition Education and Wellness Program.