By Dani Rodriguez-Brindicci, MS, RDN
Oven-roasted foods make great sides for almost any occasion. One healthy
compliment to a good course is a wholesome serving of roast vegetables.
Try this mix of veggies below for a dish high in vitamin content and rich
1 medium butternut squash or marrow/zucchini squash
2 red Romano or ordinary peppers/capsicums
2 red onions low-fat cooking spray
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar 250g
9 oz pack Halloumi cheese, cut or torn into chunks
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts fresh basil leaves to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6.
2. Peel the squash or marrow/zucchini squash, cut in half lengthways and
remove the seeds. Cut the flesh into chunks and place in a large non-stick
3. Cut the peppers/capsicums in half, remove the seeds and stalks and cut
into chunky pieces. Add to the roasting pan. Peel and halve the onions
then cut into small wedges and add to the pan. Spray liberally with low-fat
cooking spray and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast
in the oven for 45 minutes, or until slightly charred around the edges.
4. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar and scatter
the cheese over the top. Roast for a further 25 minutes or until the cheese
5. Scatter the pine nuts and some fresh basil leaves over the top and serve
while still piping hot.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
CALORIES PER PORTION: 290, PROTEIN: 19g, CARBOHYDRATE: 19.1g, FAT: 15.3g