Summertime brings lots of sun, fun and BBQ's with friends and family.
Unfortunately, food high in fat, sodium and sugar are usually on the grill
and picnic table. Fried foods and fatty meats can put too much fat in
There are other ways you can add flavor to your food!
1. Ketchup - Look for unsweetened or fruit juice sweetened versions:
- Annie’s Natural Organic Ketchup,
- Heinz One Carb Reduced Sugar Ketchup,
- Westbrae Natural Unsweetened Ketchup
2. Mayonnaise - Find a low fat or fat free version of mayo to moisten a salad without
much added fat:
- Hellmann’s Reduced Fat Mayo (20 cals, 2 g fat)
- Smart Beat Fat free Mayo (10 calories, 0 g fat)
3. Barbeque Sauce - Look for a no added sugar version or use your creativity to make your own!
4. Baked Beans -Most use added sugar, brown sugar, or corn syrup to sweeten. If you cannot
find these, try making your own!
- B&M No Sugar Added Homestyle Baked Beans have only 1 g sugar but pack
in 8 g fiber and 7 g protein
5. Hamburger Buns or Bread - Look for reduced calorie or light versions, that still have some fiber!
- Nature’s Own Reduced Calorie Bread or Double Fiber Wheat Bun (80
cals, 5 g fiber each)
- Toufayan Multi-Grain Pitettes (90 cals, 2 g fiber)
6. Liquid Smoke - Try flavoring greens, beans, sauces, marinades, stews and soups with
this to give your foods a smoky, meaty flavor without the fat of traditional
7. Potato Salad - Try using purple potatoes to add some antioxidants, and experiment with
low fat or fat free mayo, or even a greek-style yogurt for that creamy
texture! o See Recipe for Purple Potato Salad
8. Succotash - Try making your succotash with corn, edamame (soy beans), celery, onion,
red peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and parsley- season with rice wine
vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper!
9. Coleslaw - Try this Mayo-Free Recipe: combine ingredients and chill! 1 small cabbage,
sliced thin, 2 c. thinly sliced celery, 1 c. coarsely shredded carrots,
1/2 c. raisins, 2 tbsp. cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp. white pepper, 1 c. plain
low-fat yogurt, and 1/2 tsp. celery seed
10. Beef/ Burgers - Try making your burgers lean by using Maverick Ranch 96% Lean Ground
Beef or Ground Turkey Breast. Use your food processor to mix some veggies
(carrots, zucchini, mushrooms) into your burger to take up space and add
some fiber! See our website to watch a video on making Harvest Turkey Burgers!
11. Chicken - Grilled chicken is a great way to get some protein at your barbeque-
slather on some spices like the Spicy Dry Rub recipe or marinate in fat
free Italian dressing or Goya Mojo Criollo marinade
12. Veggies - Eat a meatless burger- marinate a Portobello mushroom with balsamic
vinegar, grill, and sandwich it between 2 slices of tomato!
13. Hot Dog - If you must, try these brands which eliminate much of the fat while
keeping the taste!
- Healthy Choice Low Fat Franks (70 cals, 2.5 g fat)
- Ball Park Fat Free Franks (40 cals, 0 g fat)
14. Kabobs - Create your own! Pick a protein- shrimp, chicken, pork tenderloin and
add some veggies- bell peppers, onions, squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes-
15. Grilled Fruit - Try grilling pineapples, bananas, apricots or peaches for a sweet end
to your summer barbeque. Indulge your sweet tooth! Grilling fruit brings
out its natural sweetness, plus it's a whole lot healthier than dessert.
So you can feel guilt-free and satisfied!
16. High-Flavor Rub - A healthy rub for skinless chicken breasts, fish steaks, pork tenderloin,
or lean beef steaks. Instead of salt, sprinkle some on the food and then
cook it as you usually do. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients;
Store in a cool, dry place, in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag.
- 1/4 c. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper
- 3 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dried thyme
17. Herbs and Spices - These herbs and spices will add lots of flavor without adding loads of sodium:
- Bay leaf
- Chili Powder
- Curry Powder
- Dry Mustard
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Pepper (black and red)
- Poultry seasoning
- No-Salt spice blends