Easy Home Remedies to Soothe Stomach Issues
By Norman Panitch, MD, Gastroenterology, Torrance Memorial Medical Center
Taking care of your family is a full-time job. Unexpected things can happen
at any time. Some of the most common problems are stomach issues. Whether
they’re babies or teenagers, here are some natural home remedies
to relieve all kinds of stomach issues.
Heartburn and Indigestion
- Sugar-free gum, chew for 30 minutes
- Baking soda, a teaspoon with 8 oz. of water (do not use excessively)
- Licorice, use sparingly before meals
- Milk, unless lactose intolerant
- Flat 7-up with saltine crackers
- BRAT diet, bananas, rice, apple sauce, tea
- Chamomile tea
Note, if diarrhea persists over 24 or 48 hours, you must take the child
to an urgent care cent or laboratory to get a culture. There is a very
vicious strain of E. coli that can be deadly in children.
Nausea and vomiting
- Flat cola
- Sugar-free peppermint candy
Again, if nausea and vomiting persists over 24 hours, one should go to
the urgent care center.
- Prune juice
- High-fiber cereals
- Fruits and vegetables
- Lots of fluids
Also tell your children not to “hold it in” as it may lead
to fecal impactions. Also avoid harsh laxatives.
- Yogurt with probiotics
- Probiotic supplements
- Peppermint tea
It is best to avoid things high in sugar as they will be metabolized by
the bacteria in the colon and turned into gas. These include “white”
foods like white rice, white bread, and white pasta. Also avoid using
straws and chewing gum as it may cause them to swallow air.
Upset Stomach (When babies cry and hold their stomach)
- Gripe water/tea, mix water with fennel, ginger and chamomile and boil