Safety Tips for Trick or Treating
Halloween is an exciting time for kids of all ages. Here are some safety
tips to ensure that you and your kids trick or treat safely and responsibly.
- Young children should always be accompanied by an adult.
- Everyone should have a flashlight with fresh batteries. Also give kids
a cellphone for emergencies if you will not be accompanying them.
- If older children are going without adult supervision, plan and review
a route beforehand and agree on a time when they should be at home.
- Be mindful if your children have allergies. Houses with teal pumpkins on
their porch signify an allergy-friendly house.
- Advise children to only go to homes that are well-lit. Never enter a home
or car for a treat.
- Stay on brightly lit streets. Never cut across yards or walk through alleys.
- Always use established crosswalks and proceed with caution. Don’t
assume motorists can see you.
- Discourage masks that may obstruct your child’s vision, and make
sure his or her costume fits properly to prevent trips and falls.
- Make sure any face paint/makeup used is non-toxic.
- Drive extra carefully during Trick or Treating hours (usually 5:30 p.m.
to 9:30 p.m.).
- Keep an eye out particularly for children in dark clothing.