FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Torrance Memorial Medical Center
TORRANCE, Calif., Aug. 25, 2011 - More than 200 past and present members of Torrance Memorial Medical Center's volunteer services, the Auxiliary, gathered to celebrate the group's 60th anniversary this month with a special celebration in Helena's Café in the hospital's West Tower. Started in 1951 by a group of six local volunteers, the Auxiliary has grown to more than 850 members who play an integral role in providing compassionate services to the medical center's patients and visitors.
"We are extremely proud of the legacy of our Auxiliary program, which has benefited so many patients and visitors for decades," said Craig Leach, president and CEO of Torrance Memorial Medical Center. "Their unending kindness and dedication to service is an integral part of the fabric that has helped this hospital continue to grow and thrive to meet the expanding needs of our community."
In 2010, the volunteers logged more than 154,000 hours of service and donated $201,000 to the medical center, generated through the volunteer-run Gift Shop and other fundraisers throughout the year. The volunteers strive to maintain the core values of the medical center: service, excellence, knowledge, stability and community.
Former and current Auxiliary members published a "Diamond Anniversary Delights" cookbook in celebration of the 60th (diamond) anniversary. It features more than 150 recipes from the kitchens of Auxiliary members past and present. It sells for $12 and is available in the Torrance Memorial Gift Shop.
The Auxiliary's theme this year is "Celebrating the Past - Connecting to the Future," which denotes this milestone anniversary, as well as the groundbreaking for the construction of the new seven-story, 390,000 square-foot patient-care facility. The expansion of Torrance Memorial will allow the medical center to provide the best possible care to the community in a compassionate environment for generations to come.