Radiation Safety Made Simple
Because we are committed to your safety in the Radiology Department here
at Torrance Memorial Medical Center, we follow the radiation safety principles
for minimizing radiation doses called ALARA:
How Do We Protect Our Patients?
- We use cutting-edge digital equipment that allows for the lowest possible
- Our state-of-the-art equipment is inspected annually by a certified physicist
- All of our radiologists are board certified
- Our technologists are certified by the state of California and the American
Registry of Radiologic Technologists
- We take the fewest number of pictures necessary
Advancements In Radiation Safety
Imaging tests provide immeasurable health benefits. They find a wide range
of diseases at an early stage, help doctors make the right diagnosis and
allow patients to avoid unnecessary medical procedures. Their benefits
typically far outweigh any risks.
Nonetheless, many imaging procedures - including CT scans, X-rays, mammograms,
nuclear medicine tests and fluoroscopy - involve small amounts of radiation
that may have a cumulative effect over time. Note that MRIs and ultrasound
do not involve any radiation.
To minimize any risk to patients, the doctors and staff at Torrance Memorial,
have pledged to a nationwide campaign,
Image Wisely, a declaration to use the lowest dose of radiation possible without affecting
high quality images.
Torrance Memorial Radiology Department also participates in the
Image Gently program, an initiative to reduce radiation in pediatric imaging.
Schedule an Appointment
We make it easy to schedule an imaging appointment.