Pre-Surgical Information Session
Patients planning to undergo joint replacement will be asked to attend
one of our Joint Class educational events; those having a different type
of surgery will be given information on the appropriate educational program
to attend. All pre-surgical information sessions take about 90 minutes.
You'll have an opportunity to meet members of the orthopedic unit
and learn about your hospital stay. We encourage you to ask questions
because we want you to feel comfortable with the entire process, pre-registration
Why Should You Attend This Class?
- You'll learn more about your condition and how the scheduled procedure
will improve your health and well-being
- You'll feel less anxious because you know exactly what to expect
- You'll experience less pre-op and post-op pain because you will understand
how to prepare yourself ahead of time, physically and emotionally
- You'll be able to prepare your home so you'll be able to recover
safely and comfortably
- You'll have greater understanding of how to do the post-operative exercises
and why they are so important
- You'll feel happier, healthier and more satisfied with the results
of your surgical procedure
To schedule your pre-surgical session/joint class please contact HealthLinks,
Pre-Admission Registration and Testing
As part of your preparation for surgery, your surgeon will ask you to undergo
certain pre-operative tests and procedures, such as:
- Pre-operative physical exam and medical clearance from your primary care physician
- Blood donation (in case you need a transfusion)
- Diagnostic tests
- Advance directives
Please visit our pre-registration/pre-testing office, located on the first
floor of Lundquist Tower, to register for your surgery. No appointment
is necessary. A nurse will ask you about your medical history, family
history and home medication.
Located: Lundquist Tower, 1st floor
Hours: 8 AM - 5 PM
What to Bring to the Hospital
If you are having total joint replacement, you can expect to be in the
hospital for three or four days. For other procedures, your surgeon will
provide an estimate of how long you can expect to stay. Pack everything
you will need to be comfortable but please remember to leave valuables at home!
Please bring the following items with you for your hospital stay:
- Rubber soled, non-skid shoes or closed back slippers
- Dentures, hearing aid and/or glasses, if needed
- Loose fitting, comfortable clothing for physical therapy, such as sweatpants
or lounge wear
List of all medications (including over the counter, vitamins and supplements)
that you take, along with the dosage, regular schedule and the timing
of the last pill(s) you take prior to your surgery.
Your surgeon will have advised you in advance whether you should stop taking
any medications in advance and/or the night before and day of your surgery.
- Please do not bring any medications with you to the hospital - all medications
should be left at home.
Schedule Your Pre-Surgical Session