Diabetes Self-Management Training (DSMT) is a comprehensive educational
program designed to provide participants with the skills, knowledge, and
support needed to manage diabetes.
Torrance Memorial's DSMT program is certified by the American Diabetes
Association and staffed by Certified Diabetes Educators who are either
Registered Nurses or Registered Dietitians. Our program consists of an
individualized consultation followed by a series of four small group classes;
individual appointments can be arranged as needed.
The self-care behaviors that you will develop in DSMT classes will help
you successfully manage your diabetes and prevent or reduce the severity
of diabetes complications. Classes cover the following topics:
- ABC's of diabetes
- Blood glucose monitoring, pattern identification and management
- Medication management: what, when, how and why
- Carbohydrate counting
- Reading food labels
- Meal planning and dining out
- Risk reduction of long-term complications
- Prevention and treatment of high and low blood glucose
- Exercise guidelines
- Healthy coping skills
Please contact the Medical Nutrition Therapy Department at 310-891-6707
for more information.