Our Mother Baby postpartum unit offers 28 private rooms featuring lactation
support and nursing couplet care to limit interruptions and exposure.
Here, you and your family will get an opportunity to recover from your
birthing experience, while maintaining consistent practices from Labor
We encourage "skin to skin" opportunities to promote bonding
and breastfeeding. Our highly trained and experienced nursing staff, many
who are certified in maternal newborn nursing and low risk newborn nursing,
is at your side to offer education, support and guidance through this
- 24/7 rooming in for mom and baby
- Newly-remodeled private rooms
Quiet hours every day from 2 - 4pm so mom and baby can rest,
recover, bond and breastfeed
- Special dessert following delivery
- In-room service dining
- Lactation consultants, as needed
- In-room professional baby photography
- A special gift upon discharge
Take Our Virtual Maternity Tour
Torrance Memorial has been named a Baby-Friendly Hospital by
Baby-Friendly USA. To achieve a Baby-Friendly designation, Torrance Memorial demonstrated
its ability to offer mothers the information, skills and support needed
to successfully initiate bonding and breastfeeding.
A maternity care facility can be designated as Baby-Friendly when it meets
the requirements created by the World Health Organization and adheres
to the “10 Steps of Successful Breastfeeding.” The steps include
- helping all mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth;
- showing mothers how to breastfeed and maintain lactation even if they are
separated from their infants;
- giving newborn infants only breast milk unless medically indicated;
- practicing rooming-in by allowing mothers and infants to remain together
24 hours a day;
- and encouraging unrestricted breastfeeding on cue.
Couplet Care is designed to provide newborns and mothers with the best
possible start in life and provide a boost to the newborn's immune
system, just like breastfeeding.
- Mother Baby nurses are highly skilled and cross-trained to care for both
the mother and newborn
- Babies and mothers stay together in the same room, and the same nurse provides
care for both mother and baby
- Not only are bonding and breastfeeding opportunities enhanced, but the
newborn benefits just from being in the same area as the parents
- If you are breastfeeding, then your baby has double protection because
of the close "skin to skin" contact
Baby's First Footprint
Infant security is a top priority at Torrance Memorial. We are the first
hospital in Los Angeles county to offer a digital capture and storage
of newborn footprints, security photos, and mom's index fingerprints
through a new technology,
CertaScan. With guidance from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
(NCMEC), CertaScan has created the new "Gold Standard" for indentifying
infants in case of an emergency such as a natural disaster or child adbuction.
Like fingerprints, footprints are unique to each newborn and provide a
superior and more detailed means of identifying infants should the need
arise. Capturing your baby’s footprints with this level of precision
will enable us to help your hospital, law enforcement agencies and you
to identify your baby and can only be accessed in emergencies by authorized
parties for your baby’s safety and security.
- Digital high resolution scan of infant's footprints
- 24/7 access to forensic expert who can quickly confirm a baby's indenity
in the event of need
- Compliance with the lastest NCMEC's Infant Security Guidelines
- Precise identification of infants that enahces current hospital safety
- Quicker and easier to use than ink system
- Families get to take home a cobranded keepsake and electronic file of baby's
In an effort to make our patients' stay at Torrance Memorial more rewarding
and improve the patient experience, we are providing parents with Quiet
Time every afternoon from 2 to 4 PM. Quiet time is a two-hour period offered
every afternoon to give parents and their newborn babies uninterrupted
time to bond, promoting breastfeeding and rest.
Cribs for Kids® National Bronze Certified Safe Sleep Hospital
Torrance Memorial is excited to announce that it is the first and only
hospital in LA County to be officially recognized as a
Cribs for Kids® National Bronze Certified
Safe Sleep Hospital. This program awards recognition to hospitals that demonstrate a commitment
to reducing infant, sleep-related deaths by promoting and educating on
best safe sleep practices.
The National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification Program was created by Cribs
for Kids®, the only national infant safe sleep organization. Based
in Pittsburgh, PA, Cribs for Kids is dedicated to preventing infant sleep-related
deaths due to accidental suffocation. As a Nationally Certified Safe Sleep
Hospital, Torrance Memorial
is recognized for following the safe sleep guidelines recommended by the
American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and providing training programs
for healthcare team members, and family caregivers.
Having a Baby?
Need help finding an obstetrician, finding a class or any else?
We offer a variety of education classes to help you through your pregnancy