Torrance Memorial Lactation Center offers a safe place for new moms needing resources, support and education
around breastfeeding and newborn nutrition. Located in the hospital's
Health Resource Center,
Healthlinks, the Lactaction Center provides a number of services including a Breastfeeding
Clinic, breast pump rentals, breastfeeding accessories and support, and
a Mother's Room to weigh and feed your newborn.
Our Breastfeeding Clinic provides an intimate hands-on breastfeeding consultation
for mothers who have concerns or questions related to breastfeeding. An
International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant will weigh your baby
and answer any questions regarding breastfeeding, latching-on, positioning
and problem solving. A personal and specific plan will be created to help
you and your baby successfully breastfeed.
The Breastfeeding Clinic is open Mondays and Saturdays at 9:30 AM. Cost
of the Breastfeeding Clinic is $30 and pre-registration is necessary;
310-517-4743 to make your reservation.
Breastfeeding Nurturing and Nutritional Benefits
Benefits of Breastfeeding for Mom:
- Breast milk is convenient, free, clean and always the right temperature.
- Breastfeeding burns calories, assisting mom to lose her pregnancy weight faster.
- Mothers who breastfeed have a decreased risk of ovarian and pre-menopausal
breast cancer, anemia and osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding releases hormones that contract your uterus and helps it
return to its normal size.
Benefits of Breastfeeding for Baby:
- Breast milk provides infants with the most complete nutrition possible.
- Breast milk is full of antibodies that help your baby fight infections.
- Breast milk is easy for your baby to digest.
- Breast milk reduces the risk of ear infections, allergies, colds and some
diseases such as SIDS, diabetes and childhood cancers.
Breast pumps and other breastfeeding accessories can ease the discomfort
or complications that result from inadequate milk supply, engorged or
infected breasts, flat or sore nipples, or other special circumstances.
Torrance Memorial's Health Resource Center, HealthLinks, stocks a
large supply of:
- hospital-grade breast pump rentals
- breast pumps replacement parts
- adapter kits
- nursing bras and pads
- nursing pillows
- and other accessories that can help improve the breastfeeding experience
for both mother and baby
Our line of maternity and nursing products, bra fittings, and pump sales
and rentals are available in
HealthLinks, Monday-Friday, from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
The Breastfeeding Mothers' rooms have a private area with comfortable
chairs, a refrigerator for storage of breast milk storage, digital baby
weight scales and educational information for new parents.
For more information, call the Lactation Center at 310-517-4743
Healthlinks, West Tower, 1st Floor
3325 Medical Center Drive
Torrance, CA 90505
Monday - Friday 8:30AM to 5:00PM