You Labor, We Deliver
Torrance Memorial Medical Center offers 14 newly-renovated, private Labor
and Delivery rooms that provide the perfect environment for your family's
birthing experience. Supportive and caring nurses are specially trained
to assist you during this important time with the highest quality care
for you and your baby.
- Our Unit is equipped with 14 private labor rooms, 4 antepartum rooms, 2
bed triage rooms, 3 ORs, and a 5-bed PACU.
- We have an experienced team of registered nurses, many who are certified
in their specialty of obstetrics, advanced fetal monitoring and lactation
- Our dedicated anesthesiologists are available around the clock and have
been specially trained in Labor and Delivery practices.
- We offer TOLAC - a Trial of Labor after Cesarean so those mothers who wish
to have a vaginal deliver after delivering cesarean section can do so.
Torrance Memorial is also proud to announce the commencement of our in-house
Laborist group, a service of 21 local physicians who provide 24/7 coverage
to our Labor and Delivery unit. This means all patients will have access
to obstetric and gynecological intensivists - from nurses to neonatologists!
We have teamed together to ensure the highest patient safety and satisfaction.
The Golden Hour
The first hour of life is referred to as the "Golden Hour" for
our new families. We support this special time by asking all visitors
to step out of the room, allowing you and your newborn to be together.
Your nursing staff is at your side to support this first bonding opportunity.
During the "Golden Hour" our nurses help our patients with "skin
to skin" contact with their newborns. "Skin to skin" enhances
the bonding that occurs during the first hour of life and allows the newborn
to maintain optimal body temperature. If you have decided to breastfeed
your newborn, this is the perfect time to start.
"Skin to skin" originated in the
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) as a way to help infants grow and thrive.
- It was so successful in the NICU, this practice was quickly rolled out
to include full-term babies.
- Parents and nurses saw immediate benefits for full-term newborns as well,
including bonding and improvement in the initiation of breastfeeding.
- The "skin to skin" program is extremely popular here - we even
have fathers taking advantage of this opportunity
Should the need arise for your baby to be delivered via Cesarean Section,
the Labor & Delivery staff is fully equipped to provide surgical options
within the department.
- Three designated, state-of-the-art surgical suites are available around
the clock within the department.
- Our focus is on the complete birthing experience and the health and safety
of the mother and baby. Our goal is to keep the birthing process as normal
as possible, even though a surgery component has been added.
- Your birthing partner may be with you during the surgery, and you are given
the same opportunity of having the "skin to skin" experience
with your newborn during the "Golden Hour" in the recovery area.
Labor and Delivery Suites
Each of the 14 beautiful, private labor and delivery suites contains all
of the equipment that might be necessary during delivery.
- Equipment is stowed in the suite's armoire and cupboard, so there is
no unnecessary activity in and out of the room during the birth. This
allows the focus to be where it should be: on the birth experience itself.
- Once delivery is complete, all of the equipment is immediately rolled back
into their areas, allowing the new family to bond in a warm, peaceful
Maternity Services Tours
To learn more about the facility and get acquainted with our medical staff,
sign up for a walking Maternity Services Tour. Led by Labor and Delivery
and Mother and Baby nurses, expectant parents can ask questions, tour
delivery suites and Mother and Baby rooms. Personal, private tours of
the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) are also available for parents
with higher-risk pregnancies.
Call 310-517-4702 to schedlue and register for a Maternity Tour at Torrance Memorial.
Having a Baby?
Need help finding an obstetrician, finding a class or any else?
We offer a variety of education classes to help you through your pregnancy