What is Hospice Care?
The word hospice originally represented a place of refuge that provided
shelter, nourishment and comfort for weary travelers.
Today, hospice is a framework of care that provides comfort and support
for patients and their families as they near the end of life's journey.
During the course of certain illnesses, when the patient, doctor and family
decide that aggressive curative treatment is no longer appropriate, hospice
strives to optimize the quality of life and bring comfort and support.
Hospice care offers patients and families greater control over end-of-life
decisions. Hospice respects the independence, dignity, and personal choices
of the patient by focusing on the unique and specific needs of each patient
Through the coordination of service provided by the hospice team, our patients
can live in comfort at home. Hospice encourages and promotes the participation
of the patient and family in establishing their plan of care, allowing
them to pass with dignity.
We also coordinate hospice care with other programs at Torrance Memorial,
home health and
palliative care services.
Why Torrance Memorial Hospice?
Founded in 1983, Torrance Memorial's Hospice program is licensed by
the State of California, Medicare and Medi-Cal certified, and accredited
by the Joint Commission. We have received top honors in nursing excellence,
receiving the distinction of Magnet Status.
We are a community-based organization serving residents of the South Bay.
Limiting our service area allows our team of caregivers to spend quality,
caring time with patients and families. Torrance Memorial Hospice is also
a member of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.
Torrance Memorial provides the following Hospice services:
- A medical director and a team of physicians who oversee the plan of care
- Regular visits by registered hospice nurses with special training in pain
and symptom management
- Psychosocial support for patients and families
- Spiritual support through non-denominational Chaplain services
- Hospice aides to provide personal care
- Homemaker services for support with household chores
- Trained multilingual volunteers offering companionship and limited caregiver respite
- Bereavement support
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Medication related to the hospice diagnosis
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists for safety in mobility and
- General inpatient care at Torrance Memorial Medical Center for acute episodes*
- Continuous care at home for short-term crisis management*
- Respite care for caregivers
- On-call help is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
* Must be authorized by the hospice team
The above services are optional for hospice patients.
For More Information
Torrance Memorial Hospice
23326 Hawthorne Blvd, Suite 100
Torrance, CA 90505