Updated March 16, 2021
What We are Doing to Keep our Eating Disorders Patients Safe
We are fortunate to have private rooms and a designated area for eating
disorders patients within the hospital. In addition, the entry to the
floor is locked and monitored. Visitors are limited and must check in
at the nurses’ station. New policies have been implemented for extra safety.
(age 17 and under): Parents only (no siblings, friends, or other relatives). Both parents
may visit at the same time.
Adult patients (age 18 and over): On the day of admission, the patient will be asked to designate up to two
visitors for the duration of the hospital stay. Visitors must be parents
or significant others (boyfriend/girlfriend, partner, or spouse). Both
designated visitors may visit at the same time.
- Visitors will be screened for illness prior to entry.
- Visiting hours are 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM.
- Our adolescent/young adult medicine specialists will see you daily.
- Specialty physicians (gastroenterology, nephrology, etc.) will see you
- Individual psychotherapy and nutrition consultations will occur 3 times
per week, via telehealth.
- Psychiatry visits (if needed) will be via telehealth.
- Weekly parent or partner support with our family therapist will be via
- We will have a discharge planning meeting for you and your family. This
usually occurs in the second to fourth week of hospitalization, depending
on the severity of your illness. Meetings are currently being held remotely
- you and your designated family members will be given an email link.
Family members should plan to attend from home.
Patients may leave the unit to access the outdoor Healing Garden when medically
approved, accompanied by a parent and/or hospital staff. No other areas
of the hospital are open to EDMU patients at this time. There is a long
hallway in the unit where you can do some slow walking with supervision,
as ordered by the physician, and a spacious activity room where you can
do jigsaw puzzles, play board games, or use art materials.
We hope this is helpful in giving you an idea of what to expect in the
coming months. Additional changes may occur as the situation unfolds.