How Does 3D Mammography Work?
3D mammography allows Torrance Memorial breast specialists to examine your
breast tissue layer by layer. This digital technology is combined with
current mammography to increase the visibility of breast tissue. A 3D
mammography exam is very similar to having a digital 2D mammogram. Like
a 2D mammogram, the technologist will position you, compress your breast
and take images from different angles. It only takes a few seconds longer
for each image.
3D mammography is approved for all women but recommended for women who
have a strong family history of breast cancer, previous breast biopsies,
and those with dense breasts.
3D Mammography Facts
- 3D mammography is the most detailed mammogram available
- Detects 41% more invasive breast cancers at the earliest possible stage
- Reduces false positives by up to 40%, which can result in unnecessary biopsies
- No additional compression is required with 3D mammography
- 3D mammography is the biggest breakthrough in breast cancer detection in 30 years
Prevention is Key
Schedule your annual well - women visit
Schedule your annual 3D mammogram where your doctor will provide a clinical
Stay aware of your breast health. Perform a breast self-exam every month
and report any changes to your doctor.