High School Volunteer Program
This unique program is for teens who are at least 14 years of age and in
9th, 10th, or 11th grade at the time of orientation. The High School Volunteer
Program requires a commitment to volunteering for a full one year of service
with either a weekly 2 hour assigned shift during the weekdays or a 4
hour assigned shift on alternating weekends in our Escort Services department.
Please note: The last opportunity to apply to the program is to apply for
the spring orientation (usually held in February or March) of your 11th
grade year. We do not accept applications from students in 12th grade.
How Do I Become A High School Student Volunteer?
For a sneak peek at our commitments and to see if the program is right
for you, view the
High School Student Volunteer Program Information Sheet.
The application process for the high school volunteer program has a slight
change for 2017. The pre-application will be available online
and submitted online. We will not be accepting in person pre-applications. As was the case in 2016,
only those accepted into the program will attend a Student-Parent Information
Meeting and Orientation. Pre-Applications will be available during the dates listed below.
A link to the pre-application will also appear on the website during the
pre-application period. Please note this is not a "First Come First Serve" acceptance
process. All pre-applications will be reviewed if submitted during the
- Based on past experience we expect to receive significantly more applications
than we can accommodate at Orientation.
- In fairness to other families, we accept one application per household
2017 Orientations (Two per year)
- Pre-Application available: Monday, August 28, 2017 at 10:00am
- Pre-Application deadline: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 by 5:00pm
- Email notification of acceptance into the program will be sent to both
student and parent/guardian on September 8th, 6:00pm
Student-Parent Information Meetings (by invitation only):
- September 20, 2017 6:00pm to 7:00pm or September 28, 2016 6:00pm to 7:00pm
(only one meeting is required)
Student Orientation (by invitation only):
- October 23 and October 25, 2017 5:00pm to 7:30pm (attendance required both days)
There are no summer, short-term, episodic, hands-on patient care, shadowing
or observation opportunities through the High School Student Volunteer
Program at Torrance Memorial.
For High School Student Volunteer information, contact the Volunteer Services
Department at 310-517-4752 or send an email to