TORRANCE MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER PROVIDES $16,000 IN SCHOLARSHIPS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Sixteen South Bay high school seniors planning careers in the healthcare industry will receive a $1,000 financial boost to aid in their professional aspirations as recipients of the 2011 Torrance Memorial Medical Center High School Scholarship awards.
Colleen Farrell, Manager, Public Relations
Torrance, Calif., June 14, 2011 -
The scholarships are made possible through funds raised by members of Las Amigas, a philanthropic support group of the Torrance Memorial Health Care Foundation.The recipients are selected based on their academic merit, financial need and enrollment in a healthcare-related study program.
"With healthcare reform on the forefront, now more than ever the industry will need the best and brightest to help guide the medical profession into the future," Kathryn Joiner, community services liaison, said. "It's among our top priorities to give these promising future professionals every chance to succeed. Our hope is that one day some of them will choose to pursue their careers here at Torrance Memorial."
The following is a list of this year's scholarship recipients, along with their selected area of study, high school name and college each plans to attend.
- Kristina Bergersen, Clinical Laboratory Science, San Pedro, California State University Dominguez Hills
- Alaina Beaver, Nursing, South Torrance, Drexel University
- Scott Bower, Nursing, West Torrance, California State University Long Beach
- Clare Cutuli, Nursing, Bishop Montgomery, Drexel University
- Melissa Imamoto, Nursing, West Torrance, University of San Francisco
- Amy Letwin, Nursing, Palos Verdes, University of California, Los Angeles
- Sarah McBeth, Nursing, South Torrance, Biola University
- Heather Miller, Nursing, South Torrance, Biola University
- Kelsey Nunez, Nursing, San Pedro Marine Magnet, University of California, San Diego
- Kimberli Shigeta, Nursing, Mary Star, Los Angeles Harbor College
- Marina Petrich, Occupational Therapy, San Pedro, Loyola Marymount University
- Shelby Adair, Physical Therapy, Mira Costa, University of Southern California
- Thomas Coleman, Physical Therapy, West Torrance, University of California, San Diego
- Aniqu Azad, Pharmacy, West Torrance, University of Southern California
- Yazmyne Melgoza, Pharmacy, Narbonne, California State University Long Beach
- Ryan Nguyen, Pharmacy, Bishop Montgomery, University of California, Irvine
The students were honored recently at a special ceremony luncheon at the medical center where they received recognition among their family members and academic counselors. During the ceremony representatives from various healthcare practices at Torrance Memorial presented their perspectives on working in the healthcare industry. The students also took tours of various departments.