If you take good care of your back, you won't have to go through the rigors of rehab.
Here are five ways to avoid back injuries in your everyday life:
- Stay fit and flexible. The back is often only as healthy as the rest of the body.
- Be careful when lifting an object. Life with your legs and hips. Don't bend over. Keep your back straight, and hold the object close to your body. When possible, push rather than pull heavy objects.
- Don't sit in one place for too long. Get up and walk around, concentrating on looking forward and keeping your head up as you walk.
- Prevent falls around the house. Be careful around throw rugs, cords or other potentially tricky objects.
- Arch your back when coughing or sneezing.