Expert Care in Pediatrics
The health care needs of children are very different from those of adults. Torrance Memorial Medical Center offers a full range of pediatric services for our younger patients.
Our dedicated unit offers:
- 20 pediatric beds in a child-friendly environment
- Rooms equipped with TVs and Play-stations available upon request
- Overnight accommodations for parents
- A play area managed by our Child Life Specialist, who also oversees occupational activities and distraction therapy in the treatment room
- Our Child Life Specialist provides pre-operative education for children
- Pediatricians available around the clock and work closely with registered nurses and the Child Life Specialist in caring for your child
Pediatric Burn Center
Torrance Memorial offers one of only three Burn Centers in Los Angeles County who care for critically burned children, many of whom are on respirators. The Burn Center's Total Care teams include a physical therapist, occupational therapist and social worker that attend to these patients. Working in conjunction with the hospital's Child Life Specialist, staff members in the Burn Center not only provide medical care, but also provide burn prevention education for parents and family members.
Pediatric Emergency Services
The Torrance Memorial Emergency Department is our front line for pediatric emergencies. All of our Emergency Department nurses are specially trained in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and are able to stabilize and transport our pediatric patients if necessary.
Pediatric Telephone Advice Line
Our Pediatric telephone advice line is staffed with experienced pediatric nurses who are available to assist parents during the off hours when your pediatrician's office is closed.
- Nurses advise parents on providing care at home
- When it is time to bring the child to the hospital emergency department
- When to contact the child's pediatrician.
This service is available on evenings, weekends and holidays. The phone number of our service is provided to parents by your child's pediatrician's office staff.
Torrance Loves Children (TLC), Sick Child Care Program
When the kids are under the weather and you have to work, what's a parent to do? Torrance Loves Children (TLC) is the answer.
Torrance Loves Children is a hospital-based, sick-child care program licensed by the Department of Social Services. The program is for children of all ages, who are too ill to attend regular daycare or school.
At Torrance Loves Children, children receive plenty of TLC from Torrance Memorial's Pediatric Nursing Team. Children are able to:
- Play (quietly)
- Watch videos
- Work on arts and crafts projects
- Rest as needed
The program follows strict infection control protocols, children who have been recently exposed to communicable diseases, such as chicken pox, measles or mumps, or who exhibit symptoms of these diseases, cannot be accepted. Medical attention can be obtained quickly in case of an emergency.
Reservations, Fees and Hours
Reservations are required and are limited. To reserve a space for your child, call us and a nurse will conduct a telephone pre-screening to determine if your child needs to be seen by a physician prior to admission to the program.
$4.00 Per Hour Fee
M-F 7:00 AM – 11:30 PM
For More Information
For additional information about Pediatric Care at Torrance Memorial, call 310-517-4642.