A Campus-Wide Transformation
The entire Torrance Memorial campus will benefit from the New Main Tower. Expansion and remodeling plans call for enhancements and modernization throughout all departments.
- The recently expanded Emergency Department, Family Birth Center and Surgery Center will continue to provide premier service from their present locations.
- When the New Main Tower is completed, in patient functions from the Center Tower will be relocated, creating expansion space in the vacated areas for many outpatient departments to add new technology and services.
- The current North Wing and New Main Tower will be linked via an underground tunnel as well as through first and second-floor walkways for easy connectivity between buildings.
- The entire campus will be designed specifically with the patient and visitor in mind. Rooms will be upgraded to standards of today's most modern medical facilities; X-ray and other technology will be brought to the patient whenever possible, resulting in less floor-to-floor transport; priority will be placed on patient needs and comfort.
- Designer features will focus on improving patient outcomes. These include large, well-staffed nursing support areas embedded within departments; and the grouping together of related multidisciplinary physicians for easy consultation among specialties.
- Construction will incorporate environmentally sensitive design, with sustainable building materials, natural lighting, and water efficient landscaping.
- Vehicle traffic flow will be revamped for enhanced accessibility. Visitor parking space will be greatly increased, with employee parking moved off-site to an adjacent shuttle lot.
- Designed by Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) accredited staff on the design team. LEED is the U.S. Green Building Council's rating system to recognize environmentally healthy quality standards in sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency materials selection, and indoor environmental quality.
Main Tower Facts
- 390,000 sq ft.
- 256 private patient rooms
- 12 state-of-the-art operating rooms
- 18 surgical/interventional treatment rooms
- 3 Cath Labs
- Additional MRI units and CT scanners