Opportunities in Nursing
At Torrance Memorial Medical Center, we believe nursing is a profession, not a job. We believe it's a spirit of caring that attracts people who share a desire to help others, and we respect and appreciate your outstanding dedication and skills. We're eager to hire nurses with strong interpersonal skills who are able to blend high-tech nursing with high-touch care.
In order to attract and retain such valuable individuals, we offer a variety of services and benefits. In addition to competitive salaries, we provide group merit bonuses, an in-house registry offering the opportunity to earn extra money, a TLC Unit offering on-site, 24-hour-a day care for mildly ill children, and a financially stable medical center.
Because we're dedicated to maintaining our reputation as an outstanding provider of patient care, we encourage our nurses to achieve their best. We offer many opportunities to update and expand their skills, such as a tuition reimbursement program, educational grants, opportunities for cross-training, an individualized orientation program, continuing education classes, in-house training in specialty areas, and management career track guidance.
We also believe in a progressive workplace. We have introduced many innovations to serve the more than 50,000 people a year who turn to us for healthcare. These include an advanced, computerized patient-care information system, career ladders, self-scheduling on units, policy-making opportunities, a sophisticated electronic mail system, and a coordinated care system, which includes charting by exception with interdisciplinary documentation.
Due to the fact that we are a large medical center, there are countless opportunities for our nurses to grow personally and professionally. It's easy to move between areas and shifts, while continuing to learn every step of the way. We have many excellent areas in which to work, including:
- The Progressive Care Unit (PCU), a monitored unit taking care of patients experiencing a broad range of serious health conditions.
- The Dialysis Unit, which serves acute dialysis patients.
- The Medical/Surgical Unit, which treats diverse patients, including those recovering from surgical procedures and medical problems.
- The Oncology Unit, which is a highly specialized unit staffed by nurses skilled in chemotherapy and other treatment modalities.
- Orthopedics, which sees patients experiencing a broad range of problems, such as a total joint replacement.
- Women's Services, which include Labor and Delivery, Ante Partum, Post Partum, GYN and out Perinatology for high-risk pregnancies.
- The Newborn Nursery staff, which cares for infants and teaches parents newborn care.
- The Intensive Care Newborn Nursery (ICNN), a Level III Nursery, which has intensive, intermediate and grower beds.
- The Pediatric Unit, which offers comprehensive, family-centered care to children and adolescents.
- Our TLC Unit (Torrance Loves Children), which is designed for mildly ill children and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for employees and the community.
- Short Stay, which cares for patients who have a broad range of medical and surgical outpatient procedures.
- The Transitional Care Unit (TCU), which is a 40-bed, skilled nursing facility that provides care for patients in transition between hospital and home for a long-term care facility.
- The Intensive Critical Care Unit (ICCU), which has 22 private rooms and an interdisciplinary team that cares for a variety of patients.
- The Burn Center, one of only three such centers in Los Angeles County, which is equipped to treat adults, children and infants whose wounds require sophisticated capabilities and advanced technology.
- The Level II Emergency department, recently renovated and expanded, which is fully accredited and approved for pediatric patients by the L.A. County Department Paramedic Base Station and serves more than 4,000 patients each month.
- Surgical Services, which includes eight operating rooms, a pre-operative holding area, a laminar flow unit and a 14-bed Post-Anesthesia Care Unit.
- Day Surgery, which has six operating rooms, a pre-op room and a recovery room.
Whatever your field of interest, Torrance Memorial Medical Center has the resources and dedication to provide excellent patient care while allowing you the opportunity to grow and succeed in a supportive, professional environment.