About The Medical Library
In 1974 Torrance Memorial was awarded a Library Improvement Grant by the National Library of Medicine to establish a hospital-wide library. As a member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, the Medical Library provides a center of readily available literature, audiovisual materials and reference services to meet the demands and needs of the medical center's employees, volunteers, physicians, patients and their families and the public.
The Health Sciences Librarian/C.M.E. Coordinator has a Master of Science in Library Science degree from the University of Southern California, is certified as Health Sciences Librarian by the Medical Library Association and is qualified as an online search analyst of National Library of Medicine automated databases.
The Medical Library has access to an unlimited quantity of informational resources by being connected to the Internet as well as having access to Micromedex which provides information on drugs, toxicology, and environmental health and safety. Factual answers to specific health-related questions may also be obtained through sources in the library's collection. An online catalog of the library's book, audiovisual and journal collections is available on the library's computers. A printed list of journals is also available.
Only physicians, employees and volunteers of Torrance Memorial Medical Center may have circulation privileges. Non-reference books may be borrowed for two weeks and journal issues and audiovisuals may be borrowed for one week. Reference books must remain in the library and are not to circulate.
The library is a participant in the National Library of Medicine's DOCLINE Network, an automated interlibrary loan request and referral system, and provides LOANSOME DOC service to individuals affiliated with the Medical Center. Photocopies of journal articles not available in our collection may be obtained from another library. Loan fees may apply for items obtained from university libraries and the National Library of Medicine. Only physicians, employees and volunteers of Torrance Memorial have interlibrary loan privileges.
The Medical Library is an established MEDLINE Center offering all online databases available through the National Library of Medicine. Automated bibliographic searches are performed free of charge to meet individuals' occupational, educational, research or personal needs and are usually completed within 24 hours by the Health Sciences Librarian/C.M.E. Coordinator.
A photocopy machine is available in the library for photocopying material from our library's collection at no charge.
Four IBM compatible computers with printer, Internet access and appropriate software are available for use in the Medical Library. Individuals are required to bring their own pre-formatted disks for saving files and paper for long printouts.
Evidence-Based Point-of-Care Resources
In June 2010 the Medical Library began subscriptions to several of EBSCO's clinical point-of-care resources that provide physicians, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists and other health care professionals with the best available evidence-based clinical reference tools for their patient care and information needs. Only individuals affiliated with Torrance Memorial are allowed access and a user ID and password are required. Resources to which the library subscribes are:
- Nursing Reference Center
- Rehabilitation Reference Center
For additional information please go to EBSCOhost.
Online Full-Text Journal Collection
In January 2004 the Medical Library began a subscription to EBSCOhost Web that provides access to over 900 full-text journals, most of which are available in PDF format.
Only individuals affiliated with Torrance Memorial are allowed access and a user ID and password are required. Databases to which the library subscribes are:
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text
- Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- Cochrane Methodology Register (CMR)
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE)
- Health Business Full Text Elite
- Health Technology Assessments (HTA)
- MEDLINE with Full Text
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database (NHS EED)
- Nursing & Allied Health Collection: Comprehensive
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection
- Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine Source
For additional information please go to EBSCOhost.
Journal Holdings: Print Collection
- AMERICAN HEART JOURNAL
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CARDIOLOGY
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF NURSING
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RESPIRATORY & CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE
- AJR: AMERICAN JOURNAL OF ROENTGENOLOGY
- ANNALS OF SURGERY
- ANNALS OF THORACIC SURGERY
- ARCHIVES OF DERMATOLOGY
- ARCHIVES OF INTERNAL MEDICINE
- ARCHIVES OF OTOLARYNGOLOGY - HEAD & NECK SURGERY
- ARCHIVES OF PEDIATRICS & ADOLESCENT MEDICINE
- ARCHIVES OF SURGERY
- CA: A CANCER JOURNAL FOR CLINICIANS
- CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE
- DIABETES CARE
- HEART & LUNG
- JAMA: JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
- JOGNN: JOURNAL OF OBSTETRIC, GYNECOLOGIC & NEONATAL NURSING
- JOINT COMMISSION JOURNAL ON QUALITY & PATIENT SAFETY
- JOURNAL OF ALLERGY & CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY
- JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF DERMATOLOGY
- JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CARDIOLOGY
- JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN GERIATRICS SOCIETY
- JOURNAL OF BURN CARE RESEARCH
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY
- JOURNAL OF PEDIATRICS
- JOURNAL OF THORACIC & CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY
- JOURNAL OF TRAUMA INJURY, INFECTION & CRITICAL CARE
- JOURNAL OF UROLOGY
- JOURNAL OF VASCULAR SURGERY
- NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE
- NURSING RESEARCH
- OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY
- PLASTIC & RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERYRADIOLOGY
Helpful Resource Links
Torrance Memorial Medical Library makes reasonable and diligent efforts to obtain current and accurate information for clients and uses authoritative sources of information, including online databases and/or respected reference works. However, the Medical Library does not warrant that it will find all relevant citations on a requested topic. In addition, Torrance Memorial Medical Library makes no warrant as to the currency, accuracy or comprehensiveness of the information in the databases, reference works and other materials gathered and disclaims any liability for errors in the information, data or other materials provided to clients. Linking to external internet sites, or sites where these might lead, does not imply endorsement or promotion of the products, services or content by the Torrance Memorial Medical Library. Please keep in mind that the Medical Library dispenses knowledge-based information, not medical advice, and although we are pleased to help you find the resources you need, health care professionals are the individuals qualified to give you a medical opinion.