Patients learn to breathe better with the help of the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Torrance Memorial Medical Center. Whether a patient has been on supplemental oxygen for awhile or has recently been diagnosed with lung disease, this outpatient program can provide:
- Training to help patients manage their pulmonary health
- A commitment to helping patients feel their best and live life more fully
- An experienced and caring team to guide the patient
- A personalized home program to keep you active
You are a good candidate for pulmonary rehabilitation if you are living with:
- Chronic bronchitis
- Cystic fibrosis or bronchiectasis
- Occupational or environmental lung disease
- Restrictive lung disease
- The need for therapy due to a lung transplant, lung reduction and/or lung resection surgery
The program is convenient and accessible. Patients may bring a family member or friend to the program session and at no additional cost. The comprehensive, eight-week program:
- Meets for two hours, twice a week in the Pulmonary Rehabilitation department on the fifth floor of the West Tower. Parking is available in the adjacent, West Parking Structure.
- Includes exercise sessions, lectures and videotape demonstrations.
The many ways that patients improve their breathing is through:
- Breathing re-training
- Airway clearance techniques
- General muscle strengthening
- Physical conditioning
- Respiratory muscle conditioning
- Using oxygen and aerosol equipment
- Activities of daily living
- Relaxation training
- Improved independence and self-reliance
- Energy conservation and work simplification training
- Nutrition and medication training
- Management of breathing while traveling
Torrance Memorial's Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program takes a personal approach to better breathing. To make sure you receive the best possible care, you will be treated by a team of pulmonary experts, including:
- Your attending physician
- An experienced pulmonary rehabilitation therapist (respiratory care practitioner)
- Physical and occupational therapists
Working together, this team will design a personalized program for your education and therapy. You will:
- Enjoy a personalized program based on your exercise tolerance, lab tests and goals you wish to achieve
- Receive continual assessment of your progress
- Leave with a follow-up program designed to help you maintain your progress at home
- Be able to use our exercise equipment (for a small fee) after you complete the program.
For your continued improvement, the program offers a free monthly support group, Lungs for Life featuring expert speakers, up-to-date respiratory care information, activities and trips.
To participate in the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program you must have a referral from your personal physician. Medicare and most insurance plans are accepted. Call 310-784-4885 to make an appointment.