The health care needs of children are very different from those of adults. Torrance Memorial Medical Center offers a full range of pediatric services for our younger patients.
Our dedicated unit offers:
- 20 pediatric beds in a child-friendly environment
- Rooms equipped with TVs and Play-stations available upon request
- Overnight accommodations for parents
- A play area managed by our Child Life Specialist, who also oversees occupational activities and distraction therapy in the treatment room
- Our Child Life Specialist provides pre-operative education for children
- Pediatricians available around the clock and work closely with registered nurses and the Child Life Specialist in caring for your child
Pediatric Burn Center
Torrance Memorial offers one of only three Burn Centers in Los Angeles County who care for critically burned children, many of whom are on respirators. The Burn Center's Total Care teams include a physical therapist, occupational therapist and social worker that attend to these patients. Working in conjunction with the hospital's Child Life Specialist, staff members in the Burn Center not only provide medical care, but also provide burn prevention education for parents and family members.
Pediatric Emergency Services
The Torrance Memorial Emergency Department is our front line for pediatric emergencies. All of our Emergency Department nurses are specially trained in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and are able to stabilize and transport our pediatric patients if necessary.
Pediatric Telephone Advice Line
Our Pediatric telephone advice line is staffed with experienced pediatric nurses who are available to assist parents during the off hours when your pediatrician's office is closed.
- Nurses advise parents on providing care at home
- When it is time to bring the child to the hospital emergency department
- When to contact the child's pediatrician.
This service is available on evenings, weekends and holidays. The phone number of our service is provided to parents by your child's pediatrician's office staff.
Torrance Loves Children (TLC), Sick Child Care Program
When you can't stay home with your sick child, don't leave your sick child with a neighbor - leave your child with your best neighbor of all: Torrance Memorial Medical Center. Torrance Loves Children (TLC), Torrance Memorial's Sick Child Care Program, has been serving South Bay parents since 1985.
- Licensed by the Department of Social Services
- TLC is open from 7:00am - 11:30pm, Monday through Friday on a space-available basis
- The program is supervised by the pediatric nursing staff
- Cost of the program is only $4 per hour
Children may play quietly, watch videos, work on arts and crafts projects, and rest as needed. Staff will administer medicine as requested by the parent. Meals may be purchased for just a minimal charge.
Children of all ages are eligible; however, pre-registration is required. Children who have been recently exposed to communicable diseases, such as chicken pox, measles or mumps, or who exhibit symptoms of these diseases, cannot be accepted.
For More Information
Call 310-517-4642. The TLC direct line is 310-517-4747.