Pre-Surgical Information Session
Patients planning to undergo joint replacement will be asked to attend one of our Joint Class educational events; those having a different type of surgery will be given information on the appropriate educational program to attend. All pre-surgical information sessions take about 90 minutes. You'll have an opportunity to meet members of the orthopedic unit and learn about your hospital stay. We encourage you to ask questions because we want you to feel comfortable with the entire process, pre-registration through recovery.
Why should you attend this class?
- You'll learn more about your condition and how the scheduled procedure will improve your health and well-being
- You'll feel less anxious because you know exactly what to expect
- You'll experience less pre-op and post-op pain because you will understand how to prepare yourself ahead of time, physically and emotionally
- You'll be able to prepare your home so you'll be able to recover safely and comfortably
- You'll have greater understanding of how to do the post-operative exercises and why they are so important
- You'll feel happier, healthier and more satisfied with the results of your surgical procedure
To schedule your pre-surgical session/joint class please contact HealthLinks, 310-517-4711.
Pre-Admission Registration and Testing
As part of your preparation for surgery, your surgeon will ask you to undergo certain pre-operative tests and procedures, such as:
- Pre-operative physical exam and medical clearance from your primary care physician
- Blood donation (in case you need a transfusion)
- Diagnostic tests
- Advance directives
Please visit our pre-registration/pre-testing office, located on the first floor of Torrance Memorial in the Main Tower, to register for your surgery. No appointment is necessary. A nurse will ask you about your medical history, family history and home medication.
Located: In the Main Tower on the first floor near the gift shop
Hours: 8 AM - 5 PM
What to Bring to the Hospital
If you are having total joint replacement, you can expect to be in the hospital for three or four days. For other procedures, your surgeon will provide an estimate of how long you can expect to stay. Pack everything you will need to be comfortable but please remember to leave valuables at home!
Please bring the following items with you for your hospital stay:
- Rubber soled, non-skid shoes or closed back slippers
- Dentures, hearing aid and/or glasses, if needed
- Loose fitting, comfortable clothing for physical therapy, such as sweatpants or lounge wear
- List of all medications (including over the counter, vitamins and supplements) that you take, along with the dosage, regular schedule and the timing of the last pill(s) you take prior to your surgery. (Your surgeon will have advised you in advance whether you should stop taking any medications in advance and/or the night before and day of your surgery.)
- Please do not bring any medications with you to the hospital - all medications should be left at home.
Schedule Your Class