Sometimes babies are born prematurely or with special medical needs. Although no parent wants to think the unthinkable, it's important to know that Torrance Memorial Medical Center offers the benefits of a comprehensive Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Parents can take comfort in knowing our NICU offers most services needed for complex care.
Our NICU offers specialized care delivered by a diverse team, including:
- Physicians called neonatologists, who are board-certified and trained in caring for your child
- Highly skilled and trained nurses
- Respiratory therapists who specialize in the needs of premature infants
- NICU staff is available around the clock
Torrance Memorial also offers the availability of neonatal sub-specialists, such as board-certified physicians specializing in:
- Pediatric surgery
- Neurology and neurosurgery
Parents who know they have a higher-risk pregnancy are able to take advantage of the Maternity Services Tours and arrange a private tour through the NICU. Here you will be able to meet some of our NICU nurses and staff.
The NICU at Torrance Memorial offers several innovative programs:
- Sibling Program - Our Child Life Specialist meets the individual needs of your baby's siblings during your visit
- Parent-to-Parent Support program can connect you to families within our community who have been in similar situations
- Annual Halloween NICU Reunion is an event that is open to our community. The reunion provides parents with an opportunity to meet with old friends and gives our nurses and medical staff the chance to see how our patients have grown and thrived. Our patients are part of our Torrance Memorial family too, and we always enjoy celebrating in this annual community event!