Medical Stabilization Program for Patients with Eating Disorders
Torrance Memorial Medical Center's Medical Stabilization Program for Patients with Eating Disorders was developed to complement and enhance recovery from medical complications related to an eating disorder. If you are medically unstable, you may require one or more weeks of hospital care. Our interdisciplinary treatment team will help you use this time constructively and help you begin to address the feelings, thoughts, personal relationships, and behaviors that are contributing to your illness. In addition to physician visits and nursing support, we offer individual psychotherapy, family therapy, and nutrition education to patients and their families. If you have been referred by a residential or intensive outpatient program, we will be happy to keep them informed as you progress, ensuring a smooth transition when you are ready to be discharged. If you have not made arrangements beyond entering the hospital, we will help you and your family to select a treatment setting that is right for you.
The Medical Stabilization Program is Designed to Help:
- Adolescents and young adults between the ages of 13 and 28 with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and related disorders.
- Patients who are not eligible for admission to a residential or intensive outpatient treatment program because of low weight, abnormal laboratory findings or other medical concern.
- People with eating disorders who become medically unstable at home or in a treatment setting.
- Adolescents and young adults with low body weight and/or weight loss from an unknown cause, where an eating disorder diagnosis is being considered.
Comprehensive Medical Treatment
- Complete physical examination and laboratory testing.
- Individualized medical treatment plan including vitamin and mineral supplements.
- Daily medical visits with our adolescent/young adult medicine specialist.
- Cardio-respiratory monitoring.
- Nutritional needs assessment.
- One-to-one supervision of meals and snacks.
Hospital Program Highlights
- Comprehensive, multidisciplinary eating disorders treatment for teens and young adults.
- Compassionate nursing staff experienced in the care of eating disorders patients.
- Individual psychotherapy two to three times per week.
- Comprehensive discharge planning.
(available as recommended)
- Consultation with our pediatric/adolescent psychiatrist.
- Family therapy with an eating disorders expert.
- Private sessions with our dietitian.
- Chemical dependency assessment and referral.
- Therapeutic meals.
- Private gentle yoga.
Linda E. Schack, M.D.
Medical Director, Medical Stabilization Program for Patients with Eating Disorders
Dr. Schack has been treating teenagers and young adults with eating disorders for more than 15 years. She is one of only a handful of adolescent medicine specialists in the country who treats teens and young adults exclusively in private practice. Dr. Schack has overseen the care of patients with eating disorders in residential, hospital and outpatient settings. She is a member of the International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals, the Academy for Eating Disorders and the Society for Adolescent Medicine. Dr. Schack is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics Sub-board of Adolescent Medicine.
For more information about Dr. Schack's treatment options call, 310-325-4353. Click here for FAQs.
Download the Medical Stabilization Program Application, begin your recovery.
For More Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more everything you need to know about the Medical Stabilization Program