School Based Counseling Program
A main focus for the Torrance Memorial Thelma McMillen Center for Chemical Dependency Treatment is school based substance abuse counseling. Two counselors rotate through the campuses of nine local high schools, offering free confidential assessments and counseling for students, as well as in,service t raining for faculty and staff. Parents also are invited to attend seminars at no charge, covering such topics as "Recognizing the Signs of Drug Use and Abuse" and "The Types and Trends of Drug Use Amongst Teens."
For more information about the services available through the Thelma McMillen Center for Chemical Dependency Treatment, please call (310) 257-5760.
"The professionals at the Thelma McMillen Center for Chemical Dependency Treatment provide a great resource. They offer training for faculty and staff, as well as presentations to help educate parents about teenage drug use. The on-site counselors really seem to relate to the kids and the kids respond well. We are grateful to Torrance Memorial Medical Center for providing these much,needed services to our school community ."
- Chris Iacono, Counselor with the Torrance Unified School District
Free Drug Testing for Teens
In order to assist parents, we provide free drug testing for any parent who may have concerns. After calling 310-257-6760, an appointment will be made and drug testing administered at the Thelma McMillen Center. If results are positive, parent and teen will be provided with information and resources.
The Thelma McMillen Center is pleased to offer a six week educational program for teens and their parents, providing information and skills for identifying, preventing and intervening in problems related to drug and alcohol use.
First Step Program
- FREE six week one hour per week, separate groups for parents and teens (ages 13-17)
- Free initial drug testing, if requested.
- Conducted by highly experienced, credentialed staff at the Thelma McMillen Center.
Call 310-784-4879, ask for the FIRST STEP program.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of drug and alcohol use.
- Learn healthy behaviors and coping methods.
- Learn how to say "No".
- Identify good parenting skills, and improve family communications.
- Assistance in determining the extent of the problem