A Tradition of Healing
For more than three decades, the Torrance Memorial Burn Center has been caring for burn patients of all ages. One of only three burn centers in Los Angeles County, the Burn Center provides specialized care for hundreds of survivors of residential and industrial fires and accidents every year.
Torrance Memorial's Burn Center offers a unique array of services, including:
- A complement of burn and reconstructive surgeons, emergency physicians and a network of physicians in every medical specialty.
- A multidisciplinary team who work closely together, assuring continuity of care for every patient.
- Located adjacent to Torrance Municipal Airport, the Burn Center is easily accessed by air ambulance, helicopter and fixed-wing transport.
- Close proximity to Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbors.
- The only Burn Center in the southern region of Los Angeles County.
A History of Caring
he Torrance Memorial Burn Center was founded in 1973 under the direction of William Dean Davies, M.D. Playfully named "Seventh Heaven" because of its initial location on the seventh floor of the hospital, the "Burn Unit" featured a portable doorway and a nursing station on a hallway table. After incidents in the community, including refinery accidents, a tanker explosion in Los Angeles Harbor and a plane crash at Los Angeles International Airport gave the Burn Center increased visibility. A dedicated Burn Center was established in its current location in 1979. The Burn Center's tradition of quality care and innovation has continued for more than 30 years.
For information about the Burn Center call 310-517-4622