A Tradition of Healing
For more than three decades, the Torrance Memorial Burn Center has been caring for burn patients of all ages. One of only three verified Burn Centers in Los Angeles County, the Burn Center provides specialized care for hundreds of survivors of residential and industrial fires and accidents every year.
Torrance Memorial's Burn Center offers a unique array of services, including:
- A complement of burn and reconstructive surgeons, emergency physicians and a network of physicians in every medical specialty
- A multidisciplinary team who work closely together, assuring continuity of care for every patient
- Located adjacent to Torrance Municipal Airport, the Burn Center is easily accessed by air ambulance, helicopter and fixed-wing transport
- Close proximity to Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbors
A Staff of Dedicated Professionals
Helping patients recover from critical burns is truly a team effort. From the moment a burn victim arrives at the Burn Center, our emphasis is on returning that patient to the highest possible level of functioning. Immediately, our team addresses the complete physical, emotional and psychological impact of the burn injury on the individual.
Burn patients' benefit from the expertise of a wide variety of specialists. This inter-disciplinary team is committed to helping burn patients through every phase of their recovery, healing the whole person - mind, body and spirit.
A multidisciplinary team who work closely together, assuring continuity of care for every patient.
Full-Service Medical Center
Immediate response and depth of experience are of paramount importance to those who use our services. On-site equipment includes hydrotherapy tanks, advanced diagnostic equipment and cardiac and respiratory monitoring systems.
Torrance Memorial's Burn Center is:
- Led by specially trained physicians whose careers and training are focused on burn treatment.
- A comprehensive center with high standards of care for victims of residential and industrial fires and accidents, with specialties in reconstructive, micro-vascular and complex wound management.
- Equipped and staffed to treat adults, children and infants whose wounds require sophisticated or complex capabilities, on-site advanced technology and equipment.
In addition, the medical center is:
- A fully accredited facility with a Level II Emergency Department, which is approved for emergency care for pediatric patients (EDAP certified), and is a paramedic base station.
- Specially prepared for decontamination and management of a patient after hazardous materials exposure.
Because recovery from burn injuries can be a long and demanding process - both emotionally and physically - Torrance Memorial's Burn Center provides comprehensive care for patients after their hospital stay through the following services:
- The Outpatient Burn Clinic
- Rehabilitation Department
- Continued Reconstructive Services
- Alisa Ann Ruch Burn Foundation and Children's Burn Foundation.
A History of Caring
The Torrance Memorial Burn Center was founded in 1973 under the direction of William Dean Davies, M.D. Playfully named "Seventh Heaven" because of its initial location on the seventh floor of the hospital, the "Burn Unit" featured a portable doorway and a nursing station on a hallway table. After incidents in the community, including refinery accidents, a tanker explosion in Los Angeles Harbor and a plane crash at Los Angeles International Airport gave the Burn Center increased visibility. A dedicated Burn Center was established in its current location in 1979. The Burn Center's tradition of quality care and innovation has continued for more than 35 years.
For More Information
For additional information about the Burn Center, call 310-517-4622