1925

Helena Childs Torrance presented the deed to the hospital to Dr. J.S. Lancaster, former president of the Torrance Hospital Association. Lewis Torrance and Brain K. Welch, nephews of the late Jared Sydney Torrance, viewed the transfer.

Three thousand people attended the opening of the new 32-bed Jared Sydney Torrance Memorial Hospital, located on a prominent spot in Torrance, facing southeast on Engracia Avenue. Designed in Spanish-style architecture, the building was rose colored with mottled title roofing, surrounded by grounds, walks and driveways designed and landscapes by profession gardeners.

1925-1940

Mrs. Torrance was largely responsible for sustaining the hospital during its first decade of financial stress. This fact was not well known until her death in 1940 at age 72. At that time, it was revealed that Mrs. Torrance had served as its major benefactor. She donated needed hospital supplies and equipment until the depression ended. She also remembered the hospital in her will with a generous bequest.

1925

Superintendent Esther Maxwell previously had been Night Superintendent at the Community Hospital of Long Beach. During World War I, she served overseas in the Red Cross and was decorated by the French government for distinguished service. The staff consisted of Mrs. Maxwell and six nurse, as well as a cook, assistant cook, hospital assistant, engineer/gardener and a houseman, for a total staff of 12.

1934

The hospital performed essential services for the entire South Bay area on a nonprofit basis. Leading physicians, professionals and businessmen in six nearby cities worked with similar groups in Torrance to wipe out an operating deficit of $2,000 that had resulted from shrinkage of the endowment during the depression.

1935

The 10 th anniversary of the opening of the Jared Sidney Torrance Hospital was celebrated on May 12. During the first ten years of operation, hospital staffed cared for 10,711 patients and delivered 1,701 babies, including 18 pairs of twins.

1947

A major addition was made to the original Jared Sydney Torrance Memorial Hospital on Engracia Avenue with the opening of a 23-bed wing. Further expansion provided a total of 96 beds in the building. All the new beds were immediately occupied. Torrance Memorial was the only hospital from Santa Monica to Long Beach rated a Class A by the American College of Surgeons.

1954

Torrance Memorial doctors on staff pledged $100,000 for the building fund campaign, one third of the fund goal for the hospital's expansion.

1963

Volunteers donated over 6,000 hours becoming a major source of support to medical center operations.

1964

Torrance Memorial and West Torrance Convalescent Center were area leaders in the uniform revolt. Nurses were allowed to wear colored pantsuits instead of white dresses as uniforms.

1966

A group of community and physician leaders from Torrance Memorial and Riviera Community Hospital met to discuss a merger and plans for new hospital campus.

1968

The first scoop of earth was turned signifying the beginning construction of the new $8 million Torrance Memorial Hospital.

Next Chapter: Torrance Memorial Medical Center, 1970-2000s